Introduction to Genius Hour and Independent Reading Novel

Image result for life in space



Introduction to Genius Hour
   Genius hour is a project which allows students to explore their personal interests, whether or not they are academically relevant. It helps students to learn how to research their interests and figure our how to turn this research into a creative product.  

My Project Idea
   When I brainstormed for this project, I had difficulty deciding between three ideas. They were: studying why people are so intrigued by the darker side of humanity, how comedy has changed and developed over the years since the 1910s and 1920s, and how space is portrayed differently in different movies and TV shows. I eventually decided that I was most interested in researching space. I changed my driving question to be: How is life in space different as portrayed in TV shows and movies (especially Star Trek) compared to reality? In the end, I would like to educate others on these differences, and eliminate misconceptions people have gained from watching TV shows and movies. I believe I would like for my final product to be a video to be used for educational purposes. If possible, it would be very beneficial to interview an astronaut. I also need to determine the key aspects of life that differ from Earth and space, and how those differ from TV shows. If I am creating a video, I may need help getting cameras and a place to record. 

Independent Reading Novel
   For my independent reading novel, my first choice is Dante's Inferno. I have heard a lot of interesting things about it, both good and bad reviews, and would like to see what I can learn from it. I will be able to get my own copy of it. 

Image result for star trek

Comments